1. What is a tempo?
2. Name 4 tempos and define them.
3. What ballet takes place on Christmas Eve?
4. Name 2 pieces from the ballet.
5. What is your tempo as a person?Name another person and their tempo.
Musical composer Tchaikovsky’s 1892 ballet “The Nutcracker” is based on a story by German author E.T.A. Hoffmann from 1812. In The Nutcracker, a Christmas present — a nutcracker — comes to life as a handsome prince. He takes the young girl who received him as a present on some fantastic adventures.
The music of the ballet has many different tempos. Tempo is the speed at which a piece of music is played. The words used for tempos are written in Italian.
Some musical tempos include:
What tempos fit the music from these Nutcracker examples below:
4. Waltz of the flowers
5. Dance of the sugar plum fairy
6. Pas de Deux